Start a new Travel Blog! Blogabond Home Maps People Photos My Stuff

Susie Sue

10 Blog Entries
3 Trips
53 Photos


Oz Adventures
New Zealand
Hong Kong

Shorthand link:


Hello everybody! After spending a wonderful year travelling around New Zealand, I am now in Australia having more adventures.

Please leave me a message...nothing filthy as my parents read this : )

Tripping Over

Auckland, New Zealand

After returning from the Bay of Islands, Helen, Hayley and I decided to return to Auckland for a couple of nights before facing the reality of working and living in Rotorua!

The night started off quite civilised in a lovely little pub called the Palace, just off Queen Street. We met up with Amy, (who is living and working in Auckland on a placement for the year) Jonathan, Erin and one of their friends (can't remember her name!) Amy and I decided to start on the White Russians (so yummy - kahlua, vodka and milk) and then we all decided to walk to another few bars near the Viaduct.

I felt a bit woozy but I stress - I was not drunk!! We were walking down the hill and I slipped over on one of the hazardous drains, and skidded along the pavement and winded myself! It was quite dramatic actually - I screamed and everything, blood was dripping from me and it was all tingly!

Amy and I started walking back to her flat to get some plasters and cotton wool but saw a hotel and called in and asked for the first aid kit. There was a grumpy old bat on the desk, who couldn't have cared less if i'd dropped dead in front of her! Luckily a nice chap helped us and gave us everything he could find to mend my finger.

After refusing to go to the hospital, we headed back into town and carried on with our night. Turned into quite a good night considering the drama and Jonathan made my night by saying, "You handled that very calmly!" Haha!

permalink written by  Susie Sue on December 4, 2006 from Auckland, New Zealand
from the travel blog: New Zealand
Send a Compliment

Roto-Vegas Baby!

Rotorua, New Zealand

Yep...we've finally had to face the fact that the holiday is over and it's time to find work! Noooooo!!

After saying goodbye to the others who we flew out with, Helen, Hayley and I decided to head to Rotorua to settle for a while. Rotorua is the stinkiest place, and smells of eggs due to the sulphur. Even after six weeks of the smell, we weren't really used to it!

After staying in hostels for a couple of weeks, we decided it was time to find a flat to settle in for a while or at least to stop us from living out of our suitcases! After a lot of hunting, we finally found a little shed of a home in Trent Place. It was small with only two bedrooms, but we weren't fussy as long as we had a roof over our heads and beds to sleep in and best of all it was only $55 a week!

Living in our shed was a bit of an experience with some strange neighbours who weren't over friendly. Thursday's appeared to be "dole" day as we noticed many of the residents drinking throughout the day while in their pyjamas and partying all night...and sometimes in fancy dress costumes! It could get quite noisy their at night especially with the beds springs creaking from above and the loud music, still it did for us!

We all found it really difficult to pick up work in Rotorua as it was such a teeny place. Eventually, I managed to pick up some cleaning work at the Silver Fern Motor Inn just up the road scrubbing spa baths amongst other exciting duties. Although the work was extremely tedious and poorly paid, the people were lovely to work with so it worked out ok.

We spent most Friday nights at our local, The Pig and Whistle, which has to be the best pub in Rotorua! Not that there are many places to choose from!

The lack of work, poor wages, little shed and eggy smell began to take it's toll on us all so we decided to move on for the next adventure.

permalink written by  Susie Sue on December 4, 2006 from Rotorua, New Zealand
from the travel blog: Oz Adventures
Send a Compliment

Sun, Sea and Sandflies

Paihia, New Zealand

Helen and I set off on our Stray trip upto the Bay of Islands at 7.50am, our Dad aka Nick waited with us outside ACB until our coach arrived. At this time in the morning there seemed to be quite a few strange looking people wandering the streets after a night on the tiles, including many he/she's and other specials!

The idea of going on the Stray bus was to meet lots of people and socialise with others but in actual fact we both spent the whole journey sleeping, think we were still recovering from jet lag! The first day was spent travelling up to the Bay of Islands and stopping off at the Marine resort which had a protected beach called Goat Island.

We arrived in Paihia in the afternoon and soon settled into our hostel - Pipi Patch which we thought was called "Puppy Patch!" We shared our room with a girl from Haggley, Birmingham, a Swedish girl called Malin who were both lovely and had met on the stray bus and began travelling together. We also shared with a girl from the Netherlands called Ingrid who was travelling with her boyfriend and a girl from Germany called Umpa (yes, as in Umpa Lumpa!)

Hayley set off the day before us on the Intercity bus and was staying in the Saltwater Lodge and so we met up with her in the bar next door to our hostel called bar Salty. We met a guy called Brian from South Carolina, USA who Hayley had been chatting to in her hostel. He was quite amusing, but we were so tired from the coach trip and decided to get an early night.

The next morning, Helen and I decided to walk into town and as we didn't know the way we asked a guy for directions. He seemed unsure but said he thought it was to the right, so we trusted him and went for it! We walked and walked and walked but it didn't seem like we were going the right way and so we decided to admit defeat and text Hayley to ask her the way and she said we were meant to turn left!

We eventually got into the town centre, which was a pretty little place with just a few shops but enough for a little beach town. We met up with Hayley and went and enquired about the various activities available in the Bay of Islands.

We all headed back to Hayley's hostel, Saltwater Lodge and met up with Brian and decided to go on a walk to the nearby Haruru Falls. At about 1pm we set off on our walk, which took us along the beachfront which was stunning, it felt like we were really on holiday! We eventually reached the falls and Brian wanted to jump in, despite us warning him not to because there were rocks below and even though there was a big sign which read, "caution: do not jump." Just as he was about to jump, some locals yelled at him not to jump and showed him a safer place. We honestly thought we were going to have to witness his death in front of us! He's like Mowgli from Jungle Book!

It took us ages to walk back because we decided to walk along the road instead of the track suggested and without a map we took a guess as to which way to go. We saw a jogger on the way and he told us we were going the right way but he said it was going to take us ages and we should have walked back the way we came!

We carried on walking and just a Paihia was coming into sight, we decided we could walk no further so did what your parents tell you not to do and tried to hitch a lift. Luckily, we waited no more than five minutes and got a lift with a guy who turned out to be the jogger we had spoken to earlier!

On the third day of our trip we went on the Dune Rider (more like Death Rider!) which took us up to Cape Reigna and the ninety mile beach. We stopped off on the way to look at trees (they love looking at trees here!) and then headed up to Cape Reigna, which is the furthest point north. We then went to the ninety mile beach, where we were told that we might see wild horses but unfortunately we didn't!

The bus was very jerky and made us feel quite sick, it didn't feel very safe at all. After leaving the enormous beach we made our way to the sand dunes to do some sand boarding. It was tremendously difficult to climb up the sand dunes, I kept falling down! I eventually reached the top with my body board in tow and was all ready to go and lay down on the board but because of the height I was at and the jerky bus I felt like I was gonna chuck so unfortunately didn't get to go! It was a horrible feeling - really wanted to do it, just wish I could get over my fear of heights.
We then headed back towards Paihia and stopped off at apparently the best fish and chip shop in New Zealand and this soon cured the sick feeling!

On the Wednesday we went for a wander around Paihia and met up with Hayley. We went on the dolphin watching cruise which took us through the famous 'Hole in the Rock." Although we didn't see any dolphins, we did see several killer whales which was exciting, they came so close to the boat and we got some great photos. Apparently killer whales eat the dolphins so they were probably a bit to scared - hopefully we will get to see them at some point in New Zealand.

On our last day, Helen and I decided to go and sit on the beach in Paihia while we waited for the ferry over to Russell. We were just relaxing reading our magazines and enjoying the sunshine when we saw people in Maori dress running towards us pointing and shouting. We looked into the water and saw two killer whales about ten metres away from the shore! It was absolutely amazing, couldn't believe how close they were - I'm just glad I didn't go for a paddle!

After all the excitement of the killer whales we travelled over to Russell on the ferry. We were lucky enough to see the killer whales again, apparently it's very unusual to see them as they are only seen every six weeks or so.

Later that afternoon we headed back on the Stray bus back to Auckland. Helen and I noticed that our feet had swelled up and thought it must just be sunburn but later found out we'd been eaten by sandflies! It was so painful I couldn't walk properly and Helen wouldn't help me, she just kept giggling!

We arrived in Auckland and stayed the night in Base backpackers, it was horrible! The staff were so rude and messed up the rooms we had booked the night before and we had to share a room with snorrers!

permalink written by  Susie Sue on December 4, 2006 from Paihia, New Zealand
from the travel blog: New Zealand
Send a Compliment

My Kind of Place : )

Melbourne, Australia

As the plane was coming into land at Melbourne airport and as the lights lit up the city below, I could tell it was my kind of place.

I arrived at the airport and it was yet another transfer bus to my accommodation in the city. I had no clue where I was going but luckily made friends with a girl on the bus who kindly showed me where my hostel was. She had just returned from a holiday in Fiji so she told me all the good places to go for my trip next year.

I arrived at the King Street Backpackers and shared a dorm with 15 people – you should have heard the racket those snorers made! The next day, I booked myself in for a week at the All Nations on Spencer Street….what a mistake! It was a huge place with really friendly staff but unfortunately the gross showers, smelly rooms and happy hardcore music going on until 6am let it down. Still for $90 per week I could hack it for a week!

Helen and I were reunited at our favourite Auckland café, Gloria Jeans and instead of the job hunting we had proposed we decided to have an all day catch up! Helen had been staying with her neighbour from home, Feysal and his wife Jo who had moved over to Australia so we met up with them for a few drinks.

The next day, Feysal took us on his Neighbours tour, where we got to see Ramsay Street – although surprisingly it’s actually called something else! We took numerous photos of ourselves outside the houses of Harold Bishop, Karl Kennedy and Paul Robinson. It is so small compared to the street we see on the big screen and although we didn’t get to see any filming I’m hoping to go on the Neighbours trivia night soon and meet Harold and co in the flesh!

We then were taken to several wineries and cheese place where we tried lots of different cheese and wines and I discovered I actually quite liked red wine, after years of hating the beetle juice! After feeling a little bit sleepy after all the wine, we headed back to Feysal’s where he cooked kangaroo steaks! I was surprised how nice they were (and no it doesn’t taste like chicken!) but Helen was put off after she saw some kangaroos being naughty along the east coast!

After a week of staying at All Nations, Feysal and Jo kindly offered for Helen and I to house sit for the week. I was so relieved to get out of the backpackers and to stay in such a nice house with sky TV, a nice sunny garden and my own room!

We spent most of the time job hunting and after a few weeks of being ladies of leisure we have found work doing data entry for the state election and I also have had a couple of days work within the prison service doing reception work.

After a lot of house hunting, we have now found a hostel we think may be similar to our accommodation back in Auckland. We get a slight gay vibe from the place and the chap that runs the place seems slightly deranged but it may make some funny stories for this blog so we’re going to give it a go!

permalink written by  Susie Sue on November 9, 2006 from Melbourne, Australia
from the travel blog: Oz Adventures
Send a Compliment

Airlie Beach = Tenerife

Proserpine, Australia

After spending three nights in the big city of Sydney, I decided it was time for a relaxing beach holiday and was won over by a brochure showing idyllic white sandy beaches and palm trees so hopped on a flight to the Whitsunday Islands.

I arrived at Proserpine Airport from rainy Sydney to a 24 degree temperature as I stepped from the plane. I saw a sign saying, “baggage claim” so decided to follow it around the airport terminal until I realised I had walked in a complete rectangle. With no conveyer belt in sight, I realised that this was no normal airport and that people were waiting by the side of the road for their luggage. Just then a truck pulled up with mounds of luggage strewn across it. Crowds of people raced over to the truck tearing their luggage from the truck and pushing anyone who got in their way.

After all the kafuffle with the luggage, I boarded a bus to take me to Airlie Beach. Unfortunately, I’d left it all to the last minute (some things don’t change!) and hadn’t booked a hostel and so with no battery left on my phone I asked the driver to drop me at a quieter out of town backpackers away from the main party scene. I arrived at the backpackers but the reception was closed so made my way down to the main strip where there were numerous backpackers to choose from but again many were closed for the night. With my pregnant backpack on the back and the toddler backpack on the front, I arrived at Magnums backpackers. Luckily, or unluckily I should say they found room for me. As I walked through the noisy bar with sleazy men playing pool and flirty girls getting down and dirty on the dance floor I realised this may not be the relaxing holiday I had hoped for and more like an 18-30’s in Tenerife!

Still, I managed to get a few hours sleep and then swiftly made an exit to find another backpackers. I wandered along the beach front and found myself at Airlie Beach Backpackers. I spent the day sitting in the lagoon, reading my book under the palm trees and drinking smoothies – perfect! After a few days of relaxing in the sun, I decided because of the increasing prices of flights to Melbourne, I should make a move and find work.

While I was waiting for the bus to take me back to Proserpine airport, I got chatting to an English guy called James at the bus stop. We chatted about all sorts including the time he got fined $200 for not declaring that he had a potato in his hand luggage! We sat on the plane together, which was nice and made the time go quicker than if I’d been on my own.

I am planning to go back to see a bit more of the east coast and do a sailing trip of the Whitsundays but I think I may skip out Airlie beach!

permalink written by  Susie Sue on November 7, 2006 from Proserpine, Australia
from the travel blog: Oz Adventures
Send a Compliment

Whitianga Adventures

Whitianga, New Zealand

Prior to the sunburn incident we had been invited by our friend Tommo (I say "our friend," we have actually only met him once and the only way we know him is due to Helen chatting to a girl who sold her a jumper in a shop in Manchester who gave her a list of contacts in New Zealand!)from Auckland to stay in his Bach in the Coromandel.

We had got it into our heads that a "bach" was a tent and because my legs were so swollen that I couldn't walk properly I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to stay in a tent. So, Helen text him and said that my sunburn was too painful to stay in his tent! Then a few days later we read in our guidebook that a "bach" is actually a holiday home - how stupid did we feel! We spent the few days leading up to coming to the Coromandel trying to hint to Tommo that I was much better but we were finding it difficult to find a place to stay! Unfortunately, we think we may have been uninvited!

We arrived in Whitianga and began phoning round all the hostels but everywhere was booked up. We realised we had our sheets from our duvet covers and so the only thing we could think of was to sleep on the beach and build a den! Eventually, we got booked into a hostel called Bushcreek Cottage but were warned that it was quite far out and we would need to get a taxi.

After the twenty minute taxi drive and a $30 bill we arrived at Bushcreek Cottage, which although pretty was in the middle of nowhere! We had absolutely no idea how we were going to get back into town the next day, especially with our big rucksacks! We went to pay for our accomodation and got very excited when we saw a sign saying "shop" as we had no food and shops if they existed around there would be miles away. The owner of the cottage Ann, asked if we wanted to buy some food, we took a look at the shelf which had a tin of beans, some soup and some noodles and literally emptied the shop!

Helen asked about signal from a Mobile phone and she led us to the top of the hill and said we needed to position ourselves near the washing line to get a signal. We went back inside the hostel and cooked a feast of beef instant noodles and cup a soup. We were unable to drink water from the tap because it was filtered from the river and so we had to boil the water and refridgerate it, so there we were putting a pan of water in the fridge for the morning!

We decided against having showers at the cottage because you were only allowed a maximum of five minutes so there would be enough hot water for everybody. Going to the toilet was an adventure, it was outside and most of the time covered in spiders - yuck!

We went for a walk around the beautiful surroundings of the cottage, there was a gorgeous river which you could swim in on a nice day. We ended up getting bitten by little creatures so decided to head back to the cottage and get an early night. There was no heating in the cottage because it was built in the 1800's so we were absolutely freezing!
Although we had to contend with the cold, lack of food and water and being miles from anywhere, it was quite an adventure and all we could do was laugh!

permalink written by  Susie Sue on January 1, 2006 from Whitianga, New Zealand
from the travel blog: New Zealand
Send a Compliment

Christmas at Mt Maunganui

Mount Maunganui, New Zealand

Helen, Hayley, Nick, Jerome and I spent Christmas Day on the beach at Mount Maunganui. We bought a little BBQ and spent ages trying to light it because of how windy it was! We also did a Secret Santa where we spent $10 on one person so that everybody gets a present.

There were some random things turning up! It's amazing what you can get for $10! I got Helen a table tennis set (which we tried to play on the beach but the ball kept flying away!), lots of chocolate (which melted on the beach!), a photo album containing pics of her best bits of New Zealand so far (including highlights from the drunken night in Rotorua!) and a truly bargainous hair removal thing bought from the $2 shop! Nick's presents to Hayley included a ceramic money box (hardly light when you're backpacking!) and an old lady blouse he bought from a charity shop!

We spent about eight hours on the beach, cooking the BBQ, going in the sea and generally lazing about. We then walked up to the top of the Mount, which had some fantastic views and took some amazing pictures. Helen and I walked to the bottom of the Mount together but got lost! It was getting darker and darker and then Helen was telling me comforting stories about people getting killed in the Mount which helped! Finally we reached the bottom and we were in so much pain and realised that the eight hours we'd spent on the beach might not have been such a great idea!

We got back to the hostel and tried to climb up to the top of the bunk but it was a struggle because our legs were so swollen. It was 24 degrees outside, yet I was freezing and had to put my coat on under the duvet! I've never experienced pain like it, we both had to stay in bed on Christmas Day night because we couldn't physically get out of bed!

Meanwhile, a drunken Hails was out with the rest of the hostel and returned back in the early hours scrambling up to the top of her bunk muttering, "where's my phone gone, oh... no I've left it downstairs" She just kept giggling!

permalink written by  Susie Sue on December 24, 2005 from Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
from the travel blog: New Zealand
Send a Compliment

Finding my Feet

Auckland, New Zealand

After a year of planning the trip, the wait was finally over and we'd arrived in New Zealand. To look out from the plane as we arrived into New Zealand, we could have been in England!

We met with the IEP representative, Nalin who gave us a mini tour of Auckland. We stopped off on the way back at the top of Mount Eden which had great views all over the city. We then made our way to the ACB hostel convenientally located in the centre of Auckland on Queen Street.

Once we were settled in at ACB we all went for a walk to explore Auckland and to find a restaurant as we were all famished! Walked past lots of massage parlours and strip clubs, where we knew we'd find work if we got desperate! We headed to a little pub called the Queens Head on upper Queen Street but Helen, Hayley, Nick, Amy and I decided to head back to the hostel to get some rest as we were really jet lagged!
On the Tuesday we went to the IEP office and were introduced to the delights of the Peanut Slab and L&P and were given useful tips for finding work and accomodation in New Zealand.

In the evening Helen, Hayley, Nick, Amy and I went to the pub meet which was arranged by IEP and was a great opportunity to meet other people who were also on work and travel programmes. We met an American guy called Dustin and headed to the Empire Tavern on Nelson Street and took part in the pub quiz. On our way out of the pub we met Jonathan and Erin, two Americans who asked us to come to a karaoke bar called the Fiddler.

After a few pineapple juices...yes just pineapple juice, I decided to have a go at karaoke. Amy said she's sing with me but then as I went off to the toilet the crafty girl wrote me down to sing solo to Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive!" Have to say I think I cleared the pub out pretty much! Amy also sang on her own and Nick and I sang the best version of the Righteous Brothers "You've Lost that Loving Feeling." Everyone was in hysterics!
We then all headed to Globe, the hostel bar but me and Amy decided to head back as we were shattered! Hayley, Helen and Nick stayed in Globe and got back in the wee hours where I heard Helen's drunken tales of Nick pole dancing with a guy! She honestly must have told me about three times!

On the Wednesday, Rowan, David, Jo, Rich and Stuart left to go upto the Bay of Islands. Helen, Nick, Amy, Hayley and I all then moved into the same room, it was like a little family!
We spent the rest of the first week in Auckland exploring the city and testing out the White Russians in Auckland! On the Friday we went on the free Kiwi Experience tour of Auckland. The bus took us to Devonport beach where we tried our first ever Hokey Pokey ice cream - yummy! Great morning out for a free trip!

In the afternoon, Helen, Hayley and I went to a lovely Belgian bar called Occidental, just off Queen Street. We met Nick and he introduced us to a Belgian guy called Jerome who he was staying in the dorm next door to us.

Before leaving the UK, Helen had spoken to a girl in a shop who had been to New Zealand and had given her a load of contacts. We met up with one of the guys called Tommo and his friend Marti in the Palace.
Marti, Amy and Nick went on the Bungee ball, just near the sky tower and Marti strangely asked Amy to marry him as they were leaving the ground!! How bazaar!!

All in all a good first week in Auckland!

permalink written by  Susie Sue on November 7, 2005 from Auckland, New Zealand
from the travel blog: New Zealand
Send a Compliment

Auckland...for the last time : (

Auckland, New Zealand

After a 6.30am flight from windy, wet Wellington, I found myself back in Auckland for one last time. As soon as I got on the plane I felt relieved and excited to be leaving Wellington behind me and once I landed in Auckland I felt like I’d arrived home.

As I walked around the city, I took in all the sights for one last time – those crazy diagonal crossings which used to drive me insane were now such an amazing concept and Queen Street which once horrified me was now a sight of beauty! Walking through the city, I remembered all the fun experiences and adventures in New Zealand, particularly my times spent living at Pentlands and all the people I’d met, who I’d now have to say goodbye to.

I remembered the bad times of living and working in the dreadful holiday park on the north shore and then being shown the door. At the time, it felt like the end of the world, with little money, no job and nowhere to go but within 24 hours I managed to turn my life around and discovered Pentlands, which would be my home for the next six months.

I had a fantastic time and met so many fantastic people (some “specials” obviously) and experiences I’ll keep with me for life! I remembered the times when Tom the Frenchman would walk round in next to nothing offending all the guests, when Matt set the fire extinguisher off leaving us all choking, English night and camping in Piha when Donkey stripped down to those briefs! The hardest thing about travelling is growing close to people. You think that they are going to be with you forever so saying goodbye is heart breaking!

That evening, as it was my last night and I was living in Wellington at the time, I asked Caroline and Laura to organise for everyone to go out in fancy dress. I arrived back at Caroline’s house to find a smillion people all dolled up in their costumes from Jack Sparrow to Braveheart and from a ladybird to a cheerleader! I wanted to dress up as a mermaid, so Caroline and Laura went all out and hired me a mermaid outfit. Caroline said the outfit just fitted her and thinking we were about the same size she thought it would fit me. However, I tried it on and may have been able to wear it with the zip undone and not sitting down all night or going to the toilet! It was such a beautiful costume with a long green sequinned skirt with a silver tail and erm…a teeny purple sea shell top (which would probably have only covered the boobs!)

Unfortunately, no amount of liquid dieting was going to reduce the size of my hips so we had to think quickly, so off we went to St Lukes to find a costume which we could adjust to be a mermaid. First stop was Glassons where I found a leprechaun green beach dress which we were going to attach a tail to if we could find some material. With the clocks against us, we raced into Kmart to the kids section where there were numerous fancy dress costumes. Laura held up a fairy costume, stretching it out and turning it upside down, “this would work as a fairy costume, upside down -but it could work.” So there I am in the middle of the kid’s aisle trying an age 5 years costume on upside down…after criticising all the specials day after day, I felt like a bit of a special myself! Then I spotted a pirate outfit, age 5-6 years, it was perfect and best thing was it was only $15! Job done, so we headed back and began the preparations for the night. With Laura as chief make up artist and Caroline on hair duty we managed to get into town and to Danny Doolans for one last time.

The next morning, Caroline, Laura and I sat in bed looking at all the photos of the night before. We then made our way in Caroline’s little bomber plane of a car to the airport. I couldn’t believe I was really going and it really didn’t hit me until it came to saying goodbye. I cried all the way to the departure lounge and most of the way on the plane to Sydney! It was so horrible saying goodbye to people but suppose all good things have to come to an end eventually and lots to look forward to for my next adventures in Australia 

permalink written by  Susie Sue on November 4, 2005 from Auckland, New Zealand
from the travel blog: New Zealand
Send a Compliment

Hong Kong

Kowloon, Hong Kong

We finally arrived in the huge airport in Hong Kong at 07:35 am on the Friday morning. It was so humid when we got off the plane and all we wanted to do was sleep!

We were met at the airport by the tour guide and then made our way to the South Pacific Hotel. Helen and I shared a room and we all had a free day to catch up on some of the sleep we had missed. In the afternoon, we had a wonder around Hong Kong Island and then decided to go on the ferry to a place called Tsim Sha Tsui.

We then decided to head to a few bars to test out the Hong Kong nightlife. Jo, Hayley and Rich decided to go for the all you can drink for $138 at Fat Angelos and ended up getting quite drunk. Helen and I got stuck with the drunkards who thought it was a great idea to get on the wrong ferry! After walking round most of Hong Kong, we eventually got back to our hotel by taxi and left them to find their way home!

On the Saturday, the tour rep had arranged for a tour around Hong Kong and we were to meet in the hotel lobby at 2pm. Helen set her alarm clock for 1pm but it didn't go off! We rushed to get ready in five minutes and went down to the lobby to find everyone waiting for us! It was a bit of a panic but man it was the best sleep I've ever had!

After a lot of giggling about us being late, we arrived at Victoria Peak and took many photographs of the fantastic views of the big buildings which surrounded Hong Kong. We then made our way to Stanley Market where you could buy lots of souvenirs.

We then made our way to a restaurant where some of the group decided to try the local delicacies which included a hatched duck egg, deep fried jelly fish and frogs legs! Yuck!

In the afternoon we went visited Repulse Bay and took a little boat to the Aberdeen fishing village, which I thought was going to be a nice relaxing but an old lady was driving it scarily close to the other boats!
In the evening we went to a Chinese restaurant and were given a selection of Chinese food to try which included sweet and sour pork, fish dishes, chicken and sweetcorn soup, Chinese tea, rice and lots more!

On the final day of the stopover, Helen and I managed to get up for breakfast and then headed out for the tour of Kowloon and the New Territories. This included visiting the Jade Market where I haggled for a bracelet from $50 to $15! Bargain! We also visited the Mosque, where there were lots of people praying and lighting incense sticks.

Hong Kong, was a very interesting place to visit, but the humidity was unbearable! The stopover gave us a good chance to get to know each other but by the end of it we all just wanted to get to New Zealand!

permalink written by  Susie Sue on November 3, 2005 from Kowloon, Hong Kong
from the travel blog: Hong Kong
Send a Compliment

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 Entries
first | previous | next | last

author feed
author kml

Heading South?

Online Spanish lessons with a live personal tutor FairTutor can hook you up with Online Spanish lessons with a live personal tutor. It's pretty sweet! Online Spanish lessons with a live personal tutor www.fairtutor.com

create a new account


Blogabond v2.40.58.80 © 2021 Expat Software Consulting Services about : press : rss : privacy
View as Map View as Satellite Imagery View as Map with Satellite Imagery Show/Hide Info Labels Zoom Out Zoom In Zoom Out Zoom In
find city: